Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Re: Dallas and the heat

Gym
Dallas and the heat
August 09, 2011 01:47AM
Anyone from the Dallas area?

I read in the paper that as of today (Monday, August 8, 2011), Dallas has been at least 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 degrees Celsius) for 37 consecutive days.

The record dating back to 1980 is 42 consecutive days.

Not only that, but I guess there have been 44 days this summer where the temperature has hit at least 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

So to those living in the Dallas area, how do you honestly deal with that type of weather? Seriously, do you eventually adjust to it? Do people exercise in it? If so, how? And to the big bearded out there, is that an issue? I suspect not, but I'm just askin'.

Here in Milwaukee, we just registered our fourth-hottest July on the record books, and I thought I was going to lose my mind. Our heat waves always come with beastly humidity levels. But our hottest day only hit 98 degrees Fahrenheit (36.7 degrees Celsius). So compared to what Dallas is experiencing, our July would probably be chilly to you all. [Laughs.]

The older I get, the more I have come to love winter. I could never in a million years handle what Dallas is experiencing.

Stay cool!

P.S. Right now in Milwaukee (as of 1:50 p.m.), it's 67 degrees Fahrenheit (19.4 degrees Celsius).
August 09, 2011 04:22AM
Hi Gym,
I live in Arlington - between Dallas and Fort Worth.
Hot, and also drought. No rainfall for more than a month. That has kept the humidity lower than usual here.
I've turned off my hot water heater - the water coming out of the tap is warm enough for a shower as is.
A quick glance at the thermometer here - 101 deg F outside, 81 inside. The temperature coming out of the A/C vent is 67 deg F.

We could use a little of your Lake Michigan powered A/C!
- Oren

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
Gym
August 09, 2011 07:44AM
Oren wrote:

> Hi Gym,
> I live in Arlington - between Dallas and Fort Worth.
> Hot, and also drought. No rainfall for more than a month. That
> has kept the humidity lower than usual here.
> I've turned off my hot water heater - the water coming out of
> the tap is warm enough for a shower as is.
> A quick glance at the thermometer here - 101 deg F outside, 81
> inside. The temperature coming out of the A/C vent is 67 deg F.
>
> We could use a little of your Lake Michigan powered A/C!
> - Oren
>
=====================================================

Oren, have you lived in Arlington for a while? I mean, does a person eventually get used to weather like that? I suspect that most places are air conditioned, but one still has to be outside at various points throughout the day -- you know, going from a car to a building; getting in a hot car; and so on. I would hate to have to have a job where you're required to wear a suit and tie in that type of heat.

I love the little detail about you turning off your hot-water heater. It's things like that that you don't read about here.

Our peak hottest time in Milwaukee is from about the second half of July to the first half of August, so we're almost past that point -- not that it still can't get hot. But statistically speaking, it starts to get cooler after the second half of August.
August 09, 2011 10:53AM
Hey there Gym,
I've lived here since 2004 (except for a couple of years in Seattle) and have lived in the south most of my life.
Yes, I've grown used to the heat. I do work indoors in A/C.
Even during "normal" summers, I shut off the hot water heater for a few months once the tap water warms up. Saves a good chunk on my energy costs.
Just six months ago it got down to 10 deg F here just before the Superbowl weekend - wacky weather!

- Oren

Gym
August 09, 2011 07:47PM
Oren wrote:

> Just six months ago it got down to 10 deg F here just before
> the Superbowl weekend - wacky weather!
>
> - Oren
>

Ten degrees Fahrenheit (-12.2 degrees Celsius) is some serious cold. That's even a cold day in Wisconsin.

You really get some extremes in that Arlington area. [Laughs.]
August 10, 2011 06:27AM
You should be here in Oklahoma City. it already broke the record of 50 days over 100 and three days that it hit the 110 mark and higher, add that the humidity from the rain. chewy and hot air.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
Gym
August 10, 2011 09:27PM
gibbsgr wrote:

> You should be here in Oklahoma City. it already broke the
> record of 50 days over 100 and three days that it hit the 110
> mark and higher, add that the humidity from the rain. chewy and
> hot air.
>

Is that 50 consecutive days of 100 degrees F?!

Either way, that's way too many. That's just not right. Plus, you're getting high humidity levels?! Oh, gibbsgr, my heart goes out to you!

What do you and others do to make life enjoyable during such heat? Or am I just a wimp, and you all truly love those types of temps?

Today (Wednesday, August 8, 2011) as of 9:25 a.m., it's 69 degrees Fahrenheit (20.6 degrees Celsius). Not to rub it in or anything. [Laughs.]
August 17, 2011 05:06AM
I hate the late fall and winter cold more. TOO MUCH PAIN when it gets COLD! BRRRR

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
Gym
August 17, 2011 08:00PM
gibbsgr and roipolloi:

I must have tainted DNA, but the older I get, the more I love the cold. I love bundling up and feeling the bitter wind slapping across my face. I love sitting in my place in the winter wearing a hoodie and wool socks. I love crawling into bed and under the covers on a cold winter night.

Bring on the cold!

:-)
August 12, 2011 03:26AM
That's quite a run of 100+ deg F days Gerald.
Looking at current weather, looks like OKC is finally getting a much needed break from the heat!

- Oren

August 12, 2011 10:17PM
I live in San Antonio. We got a little rain last night but the temp is forecast at 100 today. All next week the forcast is 104 and no rain according to one report. We are currently under Stage 2 water restrictions.

Gym
August 13, 2011 12:07AM
I hear it's official: The streak has ended at 40 days.

Guess it only got up to 96 degrees Fahrenheit (35.6 degrees Celsius). Everyone probably busted out the winter gear when that happened.

:-)
August 13, 2011 12:41PM
Gym wrote:
> I hear it's official: The streak has ended at 40 days.
>
> Guess it only got up to 96 degrees Fahrenheit (35.6 degrees
> Celsius). Everyone probably busted out the winter gear when
> that happened.
>
> :-)

Bundle up y'alls - It's fixin to be only 96 today!

- Oren

August 13, 2011 09:13PM
It's been too hot and too long of a summer. Looking forward to some cool fall weather and dear season.

August 14, 2011 12:50AM
Yes, it's time to shift gears.

August 17, 2011 03:05PM
Same here, Gerald. That's why I moved south. Cool is fine. Cold got old.

August 24, 2011 07:30AM
MY blood is like water also Roy. the pain I get is the intense stabbing variety when it gets cold.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
August 24, 2011 10:21PM
Hey guys - it was 97F here Tue and I was in my garage torching with 1450F heat - stop whinnin'...lol

August 25, 2011 08:55AM
Rich
What were you baking? Pottery. melting iron? We don't live on Mercury or Venus here at least not yet.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
August 25, 2011 11:39AM
lol, making marbles in the garage!

August 18, 2011 01:11AM
Gym, I think it's in the DNA, too, and that mine lacks antifreeze. The older I get the less I can take the cold. The last trip my dad took before he died was to Miami, which he loved. Eight years ago my brother announced he was moving to Florida. I asked "To Orlando, so your wife can be near her sister?" He replied "No, that's too cold, I'm moving to SOUTH Florida". I retired last year. When I flew down from Philly to visit him this January he asked "How would you like to spend your week here?". I said "House shopping". I'm writing this from my house, 10 miles from his.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page