dead computer

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

dead computer

dead computer
April 03, 2011 09:09AM
Guys

Been having no fun reesurrecting a dead computer. I had replaced the power supply, and still dead, now about to be replacing the motherbord, processor and memory. the drives are fine. It still bites big green ones. Love computers but Hate when they eat themselves.

Post Edited (04-03-11 04:03)

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
Re: dead computer
April 03, 2011 10:17AM
Good luck, and avoid use of public computers as much as you can. I was without a computer for a while until recently. I used the one at the library in the meantime, but they put you on time limits, there's no privacy, and someone hacked into my e-mail account and spammed everyone. I overheard someone else there complaining to staff about the same thing.

Post Edited (04-03-11 07:19)
April 03, 2011 04:04PM
I have, I been using government computers at work, have less flexibility to do things than I did at home.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
April 04, 2011 12:06PM
This is partly why I have more than one... the fact I'm a complete geek aside. ;-{)###>

Support your local cigar smokin', whiskey drinkin', big bearded biker trash!
Gym
April 05, 2011 08:40AM
I'm still running Windows 98. I can no longer download the latest versions of Internet Explorer or Firefox. And on certain sites, my computer likes to freeze up on me. I'm also using a dial-up Internet connection. I tell all my friends and family not to send me silly attachments where the file size exceeds 1 MB.

But still, all in all, it gets the job done. I've had to replace the fan, a few batteries, and the hard drive once.
April 10, 2011 07:46AM
I hope is the the last computer fixing I do on my own gear for many years to come. I am installing Windows 7 Ultimate on it. The mac I been using I am upgrading the OS t0 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Post Edited (04-10-11 06:22)

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
April 10, 2011 03:25PM
May your computer troubles be behind you for a good while.
I recently acquired a Mac Mini, 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, Snow Leopard - Amazing little machine not much larger than my DSL modem.

- Oren

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
April 10, 2011 06:25PM
Oren I sure do hope so. I am hoping to see Eric, Gordon and a few others when I take a trip down to Dallas next month. I hope to see you as well smiling smiley It will be just a quick trip down because getting time off from work is a beast.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
April 12, 2011 03:15PM
Sounds great Gerald - lmk when you have a date set.

- Oren

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
April 17, 2011 08:52AM
I got the computer together and running using Windows 7 then I installed Sp1 for Windows 7 as a download. The machine is a AMD Athlon 2 quad core cpu, 8GB of RAM and 1 TB of storage spanned over 4 drives, 1 solid state and 3 7200 RPM HDD all SATA 2. I killed the OS and I get to reinstall from scratch sad smiley On my Mac I also tried installing Snow Leopard (mac OS 10.6.3 to upgrade from Tiger (mac OS 10.4.11). In my Mac mini didn't have enough storage (<the 7 GB free on a 60Gb drive)) or memory 1 GB of RAM required. I have 512 MB to install it. At least Apple does make it where it is easy to undo a failed installation of an upgrade to an Operating System. I am very much a multiplatform guy.

Post Edited (04-17-11 05:52)

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
April 06, 2011 08:13AM
I ordered the replacement parts for the mobo, processor and memory for my computer. it is still a AMD Athlon 64 processor but x4 this time instead of x2. 8gb of DDR3 ram being fed to it to replace the disused 2 gb of DDR2 memory because I couldn't reuse the memory on the new board. all for a hair over US$200. I am feeding it a larger boot drive. hope all is hunky dory afterwards. It is for the most part the same old tower computer but different innards. Wish me luck on the ressurection next week when it comes in by FedEx.

Post Edited (04-05-11 22:00)

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
April 15, 2011 04:02AM
I went Mac and am never going back. Given I know about 10% of what I'm doing on the thing but it's smooth and trouble free (knock on wood).

Say what you want, but say it with a smile.
April 20, 2011 04:10AM
Guys, I can say, I have my PC running now. The Mac will have its day soon as soon as I get the money to get more memory and bigger drive.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page