Advanced

Re: Another Year of the Beard Animation

Another Year of the Beard Animation
February 24, 2011 10:57AM
Another Year of the Beard animation:

[youtube]Qid-WcHYkfo[/youtube]

-r

Groweth and Showeth
He becomes a man in one year but sadly then turns back into a kid. Such a dramatic transformation!

A '"man" is not measured by the hair on his face, but by the content of his (cumulative) character/experience and age.

He's no more a man in the middle than he is at the beginning or end of the video. He simply looks younger without the beard.

'tis a wonderful beard though.

February 24, 2011 09:28PM
Exactly! Some of the beard-centric comments here can be just as offensive as the comments made by the beard-less
TwoBear wrote:

> Exactly! Some of the beard-centric comments here can be just as
> offensive as the comments made by the beard-less

You are taking my comment too serious, TwoBear! This is after all a group about beards. I may consider not posting here anymore.

Post Edited (02-24-11 12:41)
Gym
February 25, 2011 07:48AM
fuzzy wrote:

> I may consider not posting here anymore.
>
=====================================================

I, for one, would feel a tremendous loss if you no longer came here anymore, fuzzy. It'd be kind of like if Mick Jagger quit the Rolling Stones.

:-(
February 25, 2011 08:55AM
Not a good situation when making a comment about keeping a beard on a beard board gets negative comments. This is a beard board after all.

LarryD

Cap'n Badger
Macon, Georgia, USA
You beat me to it Russ. I came here specifically to post a link to this!

February 25, 2011 10:08AM
I'm sorry if your feelings got hurt, but surely you can see how questioning the guys manhood when he shaves could be seen in a negative light?

He becomes a man because he grows a beard?
February 25, 2011 01:17PM
I think Fuzzy's observation is fairly consistent with the overall philosophy about men and beards in this community. Obviously the guy is a man with or without a beard, but bearded men are "real" men. =) Something like that.

Russ

Groweth and Showeth
"real"men? not so sure the use of the word real is going to help here Russ :/

I understand the sentiment of most here, and their personal preference for the bearded face. What I don't understand is the borderline extremist views that surfaces from time to time. Not saying it's happening in this thread, but this one could get ugly.

Fuzzy/Larry, I understand this is a pro beard board..... I myself am pro beard! I do however strongly oppose the the notion that not having a beard makes anyone less of a man.

One could even suggest that the day to day commitment to being shaven is far more of a commitment than having a beard for many people.

Lets us not get upset when others disagree with our own viewpoint, perhaps we can just agree to disagree.

Peace smiling smiley

Shaving everyday is a commitment of time and (for me at least, and probably for many men) shows a willingness to put up with considerable discomfort in the name of maintaining one's appearance. It does not, however, take any kind of emotional fortitude. Despite the recent surge in popularity that facial hair has enjoyed, I doubt it is frowned upon in any social circle (with the exception of those social circles formed specifically around facial hair) to be shaven. Thus the physical discomfort is all the shaven man is likely to endure, whereas the bearded man is the target of discrimination and emotional abuse, which is usually far worse.

A large part of any person's identity is determined by their interactions with others, and such interactions are inevitably influenced by that person's appearance. So I definitely feel different about myself with different facial air styles. Whether I feel less of a man is less clear to me, but I think it's too much to say that the presence or absence of a beard has no effect on a personality. Clearly, the fellow in the video is not affecting his biological manhood with his experiments with facial hair and time-lapse photography, but he certainly looks more boyish without a beard, and that will influence other's reactions to him and thus his idea of himself, whether he notices that or not.

And I really believe that to be surprised that the members of a beard forum have extreme views about facial hair is to show a striking lack of foresight. Many on this board have faced negativity so far in excess of what you object to in these not-entirely-serious remarks that I find your squeamishness almost laughable.
Dschonn wrote:

> Thus the
> physical discomfort is all the shaven man is likely to endure,
> whereas the bearded man is the target of discrimination and
> emotional abuse, which is usually far worse.

Anyone breaking away from a social standard (whether you agree with said standard or not), is going to come up against some negative feedback. Just remember your set of social standards will likely make others uncomfortable at times. Suck it up, life is cruel.

> And I really believe that to be surprised that the members of a
> beard forum have extreme views about facial hair is to show a
> striking lack of foresight.

Perhaps believing people could have differing opinions and still get along was more of an oversight than anything else.

> Many on this board have faced
> negativity so far in excess of what you object to in these
> not-entirely-serious remarks that I find your squeamishness
> almost laughable.

Perhaps those (on this board) that face considerable negativity about there appearance should rethink their beard style. A long beard, may show commitment to a "cause", but look awful in doing so ( a quick flip through the gallery will reveal more than a few examples).

As for the claim that any of the comments here are "not-entirely-serious"... Unless the comments are your own, you have no idea what the OP was thinking when they typed it.

I found the original comment offensive, I stand by MY OPINION.

> I find your squeamishness
> almost laughable.

I assure you, the feeling is mutual.

Fur_Down_Under wrote:

> Anyone breaking away from a social standard (whether you agree
> with said standard or not), is going to come up against some
> negative feedback. Just remember your set of social standards
> will likely make others uncomfortable at times. Suck it up,
> life is cruel.

Quoted for truth. I hope this isn't unclear to anyone.

> Perhaps believing people could have differing opinions and
> still get along was more of an oversight than anything else.

I was under the impression we were all getting along. I guess things got a bit more heated after I posted.

> Perhaps those (on this board) that face considerable negativity
> about there appearance should rethink their beard style. A long
> beard, may show commitment to a "cause", but look awful in
> doing so ( a quick flip through the gallery will reveal more
> than a few examples).

I agree that the aesthetic appeal of a beard is sometimes overlooked in favor of extremes of length, but I really think the sources of the worst abuse don't make anything close to that kind of subtle distinction. It's not that we're told "your beard would look better trimmed", it's more "get that thing off your face". Rethinking the style won't change that kind of attitude.

> As for the claim that any of the comments here are
> "not-entirely-serious"... Unless the comments are your own, you
> have no idea what the OP was thinking when they typed it.

You've got me. It's entirely possible that fuzzy meant that the dude in the video literally changed from prepubescent to adult and back purely through variation in his facial hair styling. But is that really likely? My instincts as a native speaker of English say not very likely at all. And if we accept that he didn't mean his remark literally, how likely is it that he meant it as a serious insult? Was he really impugning the honor of this young man, or just expressing an opinion on his appearance? From the direction of my questions, I'm sure you can infer my views on the subject. Feel free to disagree.

EDIT: I just reread the first few comments on the page and in his second post in this thread fuzzy said "You are taking my comment too serious, TwoBear!" Seems pretty clear to me.

We really know nothing about the guy beyond what he looks like and his ability to make a time-lapse video of his own beard growth (the best such video I've seen yet, by the way), and I doubt anyone meant to imply otherwise. After all, we only really care about his beard.

> I found the original comment offensive, I stand by MY OPINION.

At the risk of annoying you beyond all reason I'm going to quote you back to yourself: "Just remember your set of social standards will likely make others uncomfortable at times. Suck it up, life is cruel." Surely taking issue with pro-beard sentiment on a forum devoted to beards qualifies as "social standards" that "make others uncomfortable". I'm just saying this to show you why people are reacting to you the way they are. I know I'm probably just fanning the flames with this whole post, but I really just want everybody to calm down and, I don't know, agree to disagree or something.

> > I find your squeamishness
> > almost laughable.
>
> I assure you, the feeling is mutual.

I take your point: that was a little out of line.

Also, sorry for writing a book. I tend not to be able to help myself, especially when I want to be clear.

Post Edited (03-01-11 00:50)
Well played, Sir.

I can't disagree with any of your last post.

My original comment/reply to Fuzzy was an attempt to politely make a point. I didn't see it going the way it did, but hey here we are.

As for the video.. The only reason I came back after a long absence was to post a link to it (realising that Russ beat me to it) as I thought the members here may enjoy the content for what it was, a young man growing a wonderful full beard, and documenting it very creatively.

I watched the video all the way through before even noticing that the background meshed cohesively as a complete video on its own. Initially I was so overwhelmed by the majesty of the beard and the composition of the music to even notice the sheer brilliance contained within.

In any event, the butterfly effect took hold here sadly.

Sometimes in life people dance around and avoid saying things to keep the peace. Sometimes, perhaps, I should do the same.

Gym
February 27, 2011 06:23AM
Dschonn wrote:

> Shaving everyday is a commitment of time and (for me at least,
> and probably for many men) shows a willingness to put up with
> considerable discomfort in the name of maintaining one's
> appearance. It does not, however, take any kind of emotional
> fortitude. Despite the recent surge in popularity that facial
> hair has enjoyed, I doubt it is frowned upon in any social
> circle (with the exception of those social circles formed
> specifically around facial hair) to be shaven. Thus the
> physical discomfort is all the shaven man is likely to endure,
> whereas the bearded man is the target of discrimination and
> emotional abuse, which is usually far worse.
>
> A large part of any person's identity is determined by their
> interactions with others, and such interactions are inevitably
> influenced by that person's appearance. So I definitely feel
> different about myself with different facial air styles.
> Whether I feel less of a man is less clear to me, but I think
> it's too much to say that the presence or absence of a beard
> has no effect on a personality. Clearly, the fellow in the
> video is not affecting his biological manhood with his
> experiments with facial hair and time-lapse photography, but he
> certainly looks more boyish without a beard, and that will
> influence other's reactions to him and thus his idea of
> himself, whether he notices that or not.
>
> And I really believe that to be surprised that the members of a
> beard forum have extreme views about facial hair is to show a
> striking lack of foresight. Many on this board have faced
> negativity so far in excess of what you object to in these
> not-entirely-serious remarks that I find your squeamishness
> almost laughable.

=====================================================

Amen, amen, AMEN! Beautifully said!

This is just a wonderful reply to a man who claims to be "pro-beards" yet doesn't even have so much as a whisker on his face, and he's trying to educate US about what it's like to have a beard in a pro-hairless society?!

Just about the only time we hear from this guy is when he comes to attack us in our views on beards and facial hair. He'll then try to cover up the damage by throwing a couple of nice non-related comments about someone's beard. Kind of a passive-aggressive thing. "You bearded guys are extremist. Hey, nice video, Russ."

Next time this guy drops another one of his bombs, the best way to diffuse it is to respond by saying ... nothing.
I don't have to have a beard to be pro beard, Gym.

To make a point, I'm pro abortion too (given the right circumstance), but I'm not likely to ever have one of those either. I sincerely hope this clears up your confusion on that matter.

I wasn't attacking anyone here, perhaps you'd care to actually read and understand my original post. You'll find that it was quite politely worded.

> Next time this guy drops another one of his bombs, the best way to diffuse it is to respond by saying ... nothing.

This Gym, is what I had hoped you would do for this thread.

I'm terribly sorry that I don't share the same opinion as everyone else here all the time, but why does that mean I can't add my two cents like everyone else does?

I'm glad that there are other folk here that have at times spoken their mind (and sadly been canned in a much similar way), and hope that soon the few of you that get their back up when someone goes against your ideas of the perfect community, will realise your doing the exact same thing that you accuse your oppressors of doing.

While it's true that you don't have to have a beard to be pro-beard (women, for example), there is no better way for a man to show that he is pro-beard than to have a beard.

Post Edited (02-28-11 08:26)
Gym wrote:
>
> Amen, amen, AMEN! Beautifully said!

Thanks; I do try.

> This is just a wonderful reply to a man who claims to be
> "pro-beards" yet doesn't even have so much as a whisker on his
> face, and he's trying to educate US about what
> it's like to have a beard in a pro-hairless society?!
>
> Just about the only time we hear from this guy is when he comes
> to attack us in our views on beards and facial hair. He'll
> then try to cover up the damage by throwing a couple of nice
> non-related comments about someone's beard. Kind of a
> passive-aggressive thing. "You bearded guys are extremist.
> Hey, nice video, Russ."

I wouldn't go quite that far. He, a beardless man, took offense at a perceived attack on beardless men. I take offense at offhand remarks that I think are insulting to beards in quite analogous situations. I just thought the strength of his reaction was excessive.

> Next time this guy drops another one of his bombs, the best way
> to diffuse it is to respond by saying ... nothing.

I might do just that. I sometimes act as if it's my duty to correct every instance of irrationality I find. I should learn to curb that compulsion, because I think I usually come off as supremely arrogant and condescending.
February 26, 2011 10:33AM
I have to say I'm with Andrew (Fur_Down_Under) on this one...

Plus I'd add that I would have thought that one who has had to endure negativity because of his choice to grow a (long) beard would be more careful about dishing out his own negative comments.

Post Edited (02-25-11 21:40)

Wil

When in doubt, grow it out.
February 27, 2011 10:53AM
Okay, this is getting way out of hand.

Last time I checked it was okay to have - and post - different opinions.
Andrew,

I think you may have taken fuzzy's remark too literally. He wasn't bashing the non-bearded at all. He was merely pointing out the fact that the young man achieved a mature, manly look with a beard sooner than he could have without one.

Roy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page