Re: We are experiencing technical difficulties!

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

We are experiencing technical difficulties!
January 17, 2011 01:41PM
A friend of mine got a Vizio TV for Christmas this year. He doesn't have cable or satellite, but the reception in his part of town is terrible and he does need an antenna for decent reception. This is the part that is not making sense: he says he also needs to connect the digital converter box from the old TV to the new TV (between the antenna and the TV) for that TV to work, the manual says so! By my definition, he doesn't really have a TV at all, just a very large monitor. But they are not advertised as monitors, they are advertised as TVs. It seems to me he is doing something wrong-a switch in the wrong position, for example. His set-up is working, but I am suddenly no longer interested in getting a new TV myself if all that analog versus digital hype was a lie.

I've reviewed some of those answers web sites, but haven't found a specific enough answer for this dilemma. Basically, they have said the TV should be broadcast ready. I'd ask on my own there, I guess, but I don't know what model he has or the specs on it.

Does anyone here have any advice on this?

Growing a beard
is the most ambitious thing
one can do while being lazy.
And the lazier one is,
the more ambitious one becomes.
January 17, 2011 03:48PM
It is simple, get a set of rabbit ears antenna. Digital TV is like the old analog TV stuff. You need to spend another 20 to 40 bucks for a indoor antenna or 50 to 200 bucks for an outdoor antenna for local FTA terrestial television. to determine what kind of antenna you need go to antennaweb.org web site at [antennaweb.org] and enter your zip code. then buy the antenna you will need. You can reuse any old analog Tv antanna for the same use except you need a 300 ohm to 75 ohm trans former (flat cable to coax) adapter. Modern televisions made in the last couple of years have a Digital ATSC tuner built into it as required by law, providing you are in the US or Canada. you just simply screw in the antenna in the coax input and set up your TV using the on screen menu for local OTA reception. it will pick up any digital and analog channel that is being broadcast. Digital channels will list as 5-1 or 5-2 and the like, analog channels would still be the same channel ie 5 and no sub channels.

Post Edited (01-17-11 03:11)

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
January 18, 2011 10:49AM
He does have an antenna with a coaxial connection now, but he still needs the analog to digital converter box between the antenna and the HDTV to receive a signal. That is not supposed to happen, is it?
January 18, 2011 12:04AM
HI,

In France , like in UK we've made the step to Digital broadcast, FYI since September we have ONLY digital broadcast and no more analogic signal.

Most of the people had to change the antenna or at least change the position of the Antenna. Living in an appartment building the thing had to be done for everyone , so reception was quite chaotic before, once done it is now perfect in HD !

So antenna is probably the key

----
No beard, No soul

<[picasaweb.google.com];
January 20, 2011 04:55AM
No it not supposed to. if the TV was made after 2005 it should have an internal ATSC tuneras required by law. From 1995 to 2005 if you wanted any ATSC digital reception you had to buy a separate tuner for the TV. The connection on the set will be the coax input on the Visio TV.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
January 20, 2011 10:29AM
He's going to have me look through the manual this weekend. Not sure I'll understand everything, but I think I can muddle out the answer when I can see the details.

Growing a beard
And the lazier one is,
Disconnect the box and connect antenna directly to the TV. Have the TV do auto channel search and make sure that it does in fact search the digital channels. It should be obvious when you are looking at the menus on the tv. If you get nothing or very brief digitized moments of something once it is done then you need to work on the antenna to get better signal.

February 04, 2011 12:13PM
Well, he finally disconnected the converter box and connected the antenna directly to the TV. His reception is now flawless, especially for a part of Long Beach where most television signals are blocked by (drum roll) Signal Hill.

Now if we can figure out why Verizon FiOS causes the volume to go out on my own TV.

Growing a beard
And the lazier one is,
February 06, 2011 08:41AM
riesigbart wrote:

> Well, he finally disconnected the converter box and connected
> the antenna directly to the TV. His reception is now flawless,
> especially for a part of Long Beach where most television
> signals are blocked by (drum roll) Signal Hill.

Signal Ground Hill

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page