Re: A Letter to Rachel Maddow

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

A Letter to Rachel Maddow
November 13, 2010 02:35PM
For those of you who don't watch Rachel's show, she made some unflattering remarks about the beard of Joe Miller, the (apparently) failed Senate candidate from Alaska. It turns out that her producer - Bill Wolff - has pledged not to shave until that race is finally resolved, and Rachel dropped a few more snarky comments about Mr. Wolff's beard. I watch her show regularly, and I even consider myself a fan - but this I couldn't put up with any longer - so here is the text of the email I just sent her:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Rachel, I love you and your show; I've been a fan since I first encountered your work on AirAmerica radio, but I sat through your snarky remarks about Joe Miller's barely-extant beard with teeth gritted. Now, you're lobbing insults at Bill Wolff's beard, and I've had enough of it. His beard is handsome on him, and it'll look even better more fully grown in. I'm hoping he'll realize what a futile, wasteful and ridiculous activity shaving is - and keep it.

Maybe you don't happen to know any/many bearded men personally; they're certainly rare as the face of broadcasting - Wolf Blitzer and Chuck Todd are notable as extremely rare exceptions.

I will be 46 this coming February, and since I was a junior in high school, I have been continuously bearded. It's been various lengths - generally no shorter than an inch or so - but after it fully grew in, I have never again shaved my face. For many years now, my beard has been fully grown out, and it's going to stay that way. Here are a few photos to give you an idea. I linked them rather than including them in this email because I don't know how your email system reacts to such things.

- a photo of me on a motorcycle run up in the mountains:
[members.dslextreme.com]
- me on my way home from Sturgis Bike Week in 2006:
[members.dslextreme.com]
- me at Disney Gay Days a couple years ago:
[members.dslextreme.com]

Not that it matters, but yes - I'm a gay biker. Also a science-fiction geek who's a registered member of the California Green Party, since they're about as close as we get to a Social Democrat party in the USA. And yes, I think I look good this way. And yes - I am indeed personally offended by the snark you've thrown about beards. Joe Miller is/was indeed a laughable candidate, but his facial hair was frankly not what (thankfully) lost him that race. What I found offensive in that regard was that he clearly had been wearing it more fully grown in until he won the primary, the political "advisors" got to him and he sheared it down to "fashionable" stubble length.

Bearded men in our society put up with an enormous amount of abuse, from ludicrous corporate dress codes to random people who wouldn't think of walking up to an overweight person and saying, "You're just hideously fat", but will tell a bearded man - who's neat and clean - he looks like a bum, or Fidel Castro, or a "muslim" - or whatever they think is the most offensive characterization. I'd appreciate it very much if you would stop adding to it and thus indirectly encouraging it.

I would like to point you to the Beard Community Bulletin Board - [www.BeardCommunity.com] - a place where men both gay and straight meet to do a little male bonding. We have a few female regulars who are beard fans or spouses of bearded men, and the content of the board is strictly PG. You might also have a look at [beardteamusa.org] - as if you think my beard is outrageously large, you should have a look at Burke Kenny and Jack Passion! (http://beardteamusa.org/btusa/burke/ and [beardteamusa.org])

I'm not going to make any stupid "threats" about not watching your show if you fail to reconsider this point; I just wanted you to know how I felt about it and hope that you'll take what I said seriously.

G. M.
Bearded American

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

What can I say? We've got to stick up for ourselves. If you go to <[maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com]; there's a video that shows Bill Wolff's short but entirely reasonable beard.

Support your local cigar smokin', whiskey drinkin', big bearded biker trash!
November 13, 2010 09:55PM
Good letter, Furr, and great pictures. Maybe Rachel will back off and admit that many people look good with facial hair.

Then again:

November 14, 2010 04:15AM
+1

----
No beard, No soul

&lt;[picasaweb.google.com];
November 14, 2010 09:54AM
Way to go, George, er, Furr. It'd be great if you receive a respone from her.

Kathy
November 14, 2010 11:14AM
Rachel is one of my heroes, but I hadn't heard this anti-beard stuff. Great letter!
November 14, 2010 06:48PM
Hi Furr,

Your letter was great! Thanks for being bold enough to stand in the gap for all of us bearded men!

Mike

Gym
November 15, 2010 08:44AM
That letter is right on the money, Furr! It captures everything and is quite articulate. I especially like your closing about not making any stupid threats. I'm a big fan of the "letters to the editor" section of my paper, and I can't tell you how many times, when a reader is upset, that I read something like, "I'm going to cancel my subscrition," usually over a political cartoon he or she didn't find amusing. AAargh!

Oh, and loved the pics you "enclosed" of yourself. Nice to finally see you without your shades, man. [Laughs.]
November 15, 2010 03:07PM
Furr

Well said and put. plus you didn't go down to her level. smiling smiley

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
November 18, 2010 11:09AM
I hope no one here saw her show tonight - 11/17.

Suffice it to say that Mr Wolfe no longer has his beard - or his dignity - after tonight's show.
November 23, 2010 09:03AM
I did see it, TwoBear - poor fellow has clearly been brainwashed with anti-beard propaganda. I was boggling as he was telling that barber how awful his beard was - it was an EXCELLENT start, I thought.

Russ - they claim they read all their email; whether or not they do anything about it or mention it on air is of course a completely different issue.

Support your local cigar smokin', whiskey drinkin', big bearded biker trash!
November 18, 2010 11:54AM
Really great letter you wrote to Rachel. I hope she reads it.

-r

Groweth and Showeth
December 16, 2010 10:27PM
Being a Brit' I don't know who Rachel is, but I'm with you all the way.But if she's predjudiced against beards, she will probably stay that way.

December 16, 2010 10:46PM
Well, she can be impressed:

[www.dailykostv.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page