Re: Fired!

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Fired!
June 12, 2010 12:16AM
I've been on vacation for the past week, just got home. While I was gone something happened to me that has never happened before - I was fired from my job! I found out via a long distance phone call while I was on vacation.

I'm not sure how to feel right now. I have been planning to leave that job for years now, just never worked up the courage to actually quit. The place has been going to hell in a hand basket for quite some time. My partner and I joked about it after I found out - being fired from this place is kind of like being thrown overboard from the Titanic.

I'm not sure what comes next, but life will go on...
June 12, 2010 01:18AM
I think it is a blessing in disguise!

Sometimes life hands us what we think at first as something bad BUT it really is telling us that it's time for a change in a positive direction!

I wish the best you you and yours.

June 12, 2010 01:28AM
I think you're probably right. It's just a little scary having an uncertain future.

Thanks!
June 12, 2010 02:37AM
I totally agree with you!!!

But, you know you have friends that care about you and you can depend on them for comfort.

I suggest surrounding yourself for awhile with only positive thoughts and be happy remembering how much fun you had on vacation. Treat it like an adventure - another chapter in your life.

Hang in there!!!!!

June 12, 2010 04:21AM
Wow, Wil, you've been there a long time, right?

I totally agree with what Rich suggested in both comments. Good luck to you in the future!

Kathy
June 12, 2010 04:50AM
I'll be ever astonished about how you proceed to fire people in the US.

In France the process is very strict by law . for example you have to meet the employee 15 days before dismissal or redundancy determination is announced by Recommended Letter.

The employee is often assisted by a union delegate.

In case of redundancy the employee gets at least a compensation which is about the equivalent of 1 month wages for 1 year seniority.

If you're fire due to a fault you get nothing, but generally it end before a judge

Or you can negotiate the amount of money to leave ( generally (much) more than the normal fee).

I hope you'll find a good job soon !

----
No beard, No soul

<[picasaweb.google.com];
June 12, 2010 11:18AM
Where I work, the Human Resources Department loves to brag about the state of California being an "at will employment" state, so they can fire us at any time without giving a reason. When I think about it, they are a Japanese company doing business in the United States, and I wonder how much of this American-style management they would get away with in Japan. Then I wonder how much this goes on with every foreign company doing business in the US. Back at my job, the motto seems to be, "The minimum the law requires, the maximum the law allows."

Good luck in your job search, do not shave the beard unless you absolutely have to.

Growing a beard
is the most ambitious thing
one can do while being lazy.
And the lazier one is,
the more ambitious one becomes.
Gym
June 13, 2010 06:38AM
TwoBear wrote:

> I've been on vacation for the past week, just got home. While I
> was gone something happened to me that has never happened
> before - I was fired from my job! I found out via a long
> distance phone call while I was on vacation.
>
=====================================================

That has got to be one of the weirdest ways to get fired that I've ever heard of! Seriously, talk about cold -- and nasty. To fire someone while on vacation?!

What a sh*tty thing to do.

This is one scary time to be unemployed. And with jobs so scarce, and with the way our society looks upon the big bearded, it's even scarier. Is the thought of having to shave going through your mind right now?

I'm truly sorry to hear this news. Truly sorry. Best of luck to you on your job search. And please keep us posted. My fingers will be crossed for you.
June 13, 2010 08:26AM
You can have a short well trimmed beard while looking for work. TwoBear you will needto contact the Hour and Wage Division of the Sate Employment Office to file your Unemployment Claim. In no state you can be dismissed with out a reason. With all those years of Teaching and training, you should be able to get a new job fairly easily.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
June 14, 2010 03:56PM
I'm really sorry that happened to you while you were on holidays! I wish you the best of luck in finiding another job soon.
Best wishes,
John in Sydney
June 16, 2010 03:01PM
Wil, sorry to hear of your surprise firing.
Given that you've been wanting to quit...may it all be for the better.
Best of luck sorting out the "what comes next" part - keep us posted!
- Oren

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
July 20, 2010 03:15AM
Still not working, but at least I won unemployment benefits. :-)
July 20, 2010 04:01AM
Now that's a great bit of news!!!!!

July 20, 2010 10:21AM
yes getting fired does suck,the same thing happend to me
July 8.
was called into meeting and was told that the place I worked for no
longer wanted me around.
at least I will be getting unemployment benefits.
only good thing about it is that the way the place is being run
I do not expect them to be around in a year or two.

<

March 23, 2011 03:34AM
And FINALLY I can proclaim ----- HIRED!!!!!

Just accepted a job offer this afternoon! I'll actually be making just a bit MORE than I was before, and my commute goes from 50 miles a day to 5. I'll start on April 4th.

Very excited! Now I can start paying off all my debts!
I never imagined it would take this long to find a new job.
March 23, 2011 05:43AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 23, 2011 09:46AM
Absolute congratulations!!!!! I may be in the very same boat you were very soon so it's a well needed moment of inspiration.

Say what you want, but say it with a smile.
Hired!!
March 24, 2011 12:46PM
Great to hear Wil!!!
Best of luck on the new job.
Happy bear dance - Oren

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
Hired!
March 25, 2011 09:47AM
Congratulations, Wil. Very good news. Glad the commute is so much less too!

Kathy
March 26, 2011 05:51AM
It's Good to have such good news, I hope you'll enjoy your new job

----
No beard, No soul

<[picasaweb.google.com];
Gym
March 27, 2011 08:19PM
Good news, TwoBear! But hey, you didn't tell us what you'll be doing where they let you keep your beard.
March 28, 2011 07:22AM
That's wonderful, TwoBear! Good luck in your new job!

March 28, 2011 09:37AM
Thanks, guys...

And Gym - I never did say thanks for the photo the other day. So... Thanks! It was good to see and remember warmer times!

Wil
Gym
March 28, 2011 07:47PM
TwoBear wrote:

> Thanks, guys...
>
> And Gym - I never did say thanks for the photo the other day.
> So... Thanks! It was good to see and remember warmer times!
>
> Wil

You're entirely welcome. Look forward to catching up with you again at the farmers market this summer.
March 25, 2011 12:21AM
Thanks, all!

And to Greenleaf, I hope you're wrong about being in the same boat soon. It is NOT easy to find work in this economy. I wish you luck!
March 27, 2011 10:50PM
@ Gym:

I'm going to be teaching at Ebenezer in downtown Milwaukee, right across the street from the main post office. They are expanding and I'll be opening a new classroom for them. I start on Monday, April 4.

It never occurred to me that my beard could be a problem. I took it with me to the interview... ;-)
Gym
March 28, 2011 05:13AM
TwoBear wrote:

> @ Gym:
>
> I'm going to be teaching at Ebenezer in downtown Milwaukee,
> right across the street from the main post office. They are
> expanding and I'll be opening a new classroom for them. I start
> on Monday, April 4.
>
> It never occurred to me that my beard could be a problem. I
> took it with me to the interview... ;-)

Glad to hear you'll be sticking with the teaching profession. Even better that you get to keep the beard. Best of luck on your new gig!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page