Re: Ice Cream!

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Ice Cream!
April 17, 2010 12:52PM
Today I made my first batch of homemade ice cream!

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but about 2 years ago I was diagnosed as diabetic. In the time since, I've discovered that there's no brand of commercially made no-sugar-added ice cream that I've been able to find that's worth eating. (There's one brand of ice cream bar that is an exception, but it's not very good.) They're all loaded up with two "sugar alcohols" - sorbitol and maltitol - that are notorious for causing digestive upset. (In fact, maltitol is sometimes referred to as "baby laxative" - if that gives you some idea of the effect.)

I thought I could do better, and as it turns out ... I can!

I started off with a rich egg custard base, sweetened with erythritol (a sugar alcohol that does NOT cause digestive distress) and high-concentration liquid sucralose (same sweetener as in Splenda, but without the maltodextrin bulking agent). A little vanilla, some ground cinnamon and cinnamon oil to boost the flavor, 30 minutes in the ice cream machine and voila! Rich, creamy, delicious, no sugar added (just the natural milk sugar in the milk and cream) ice cream!

I've missed cinnamon ice cream since Haagen-Dazs stopped making it for the Thanksgiving/Christmas season, and now I can have it any time I like - and without worrying too much about my diabetic diet!

I was surprised at how inexpensive the machine (a Cuisinart ICE-20) was - and now I'll be able to enjoy good no-sugar ice cream and sorbets! Even if you aren't diabetic and would make your ice cream with sugar, these modern ice cream machines are amazing - you can "tailor" your ice cream to your particular taste because you're in control of the recipe, and you don't have to deal with ice and salt and all that mess.

Just be careful not to get ice cream in your beard! *grin*

Support your local cigar smokin', whiskey drinkin', big bearded biker trash!
April 17, 2010 09:50PM
A friend of mine bought an ice cream maker after her husband was diagnosed with diabetes. She makes the most delicious fruit sorbets that I've ever tasted!
April 19, 2010 05:52AM
Sorbets can be challenging to keep them smooth and not turn icy... I've already secured some fruit pectin that sets with a bit of calcium (rather than needing sugar to gel) to use as a stabilizer. (Theoretically, gelatin works too - but I've always preferred the texture of commercial sorbets that use pectin.)

April 17, 2010 11:44PM
Did you create the recipe Furr? Sounds wonderfully yummy!

Kathy
April 19, 2010 05:27AM
Kathy: I improvised from an ice cream base recipe in the Ben & Jerry's recipe book. It turned out to need more sweetening - but I figure that's because cinnamon is a bold, spicy flavor and it needed more sweetening to balance it than, say, vanilla or even chocolate.

One of the other wonderful things out there is Davidson's Pasteurized Eggs - so there's absolutely no worry about salmonella in using raw or "undercooked" eggs in ice cream or any other recipe.

Unfortunately it's gotten awfully hard after being allowed to set up in the freezer; I may not have left it churning long enough. Still, I never expected my first try to be perfect, and I'm sure I'll get there. winking smiley (It still tastes wonderful, it's just a chore to get it out of the container.)

April 19, 2010 08:40AM
gelatin works better with ice cream, a little goes a looooong way. it what makes ice cream firm and not melt so fast as regular hand mixed homemade icecream.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
April 18, 2010 08:52AM
You can make some very tasty ice creams or gelati with fruits and fruit juices. just be gentle with those the fructose will get you like sucrose will with the insulin shock.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
April 19, 2010 05:48AM
Gerald: That's why I'm planning to use natural flavor extracts instead of actual juice or fruit when I start making sorbets. winking smiley I'm pondering one of my favorite flavor combinations already - apricot/tangerine! I've already got the tangerine oil - I just need to locate some apricot flavoring. winking smiley

April 20, 2010 12:45AM
the most delightful ice cream I ever ate was my brothers Vanilla Ice made with Tahiti vanilla I got from one of his friend (the father of this friend has a vanilla farm in Tahiti)

It was like eating Vanilla ice for the first time ... something Sweet and strong you can't even describe.

It was make with sugar, no one of us suffer from diabetes for now ...

----
No beard, No soul

<[picasaweb.google.com];
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page