Re: You never get what you pay for.

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

You never get what you pay for.
February 19, 2010 07:55AM
This seems typical these days:
my son turned 17 today and we gave him a limited edition pc game he asked for.
It was an Alien V Predator game that came with a 'life sized' Alien thingo, that is the one that clings to your face and in it goes. We are talking $130. Anyway my wife collected it and the box was torn at the top. They only ordered 2 and the other one had been collected so we had no choice but to take this one. Then he opens it to find the so called 'life sized' alien was very small in comparison to the real deal. It seems you never get what you pay for any more. I could give you many examples but this one is typical of how we consumers are treated. DaveinOz

February 21, 2010 05:28AM
I hear ya Dave!
I do most of my shopping these days in thrift/2nd hand stores.
May not look "shiny and new", but the older goods I find are so much better made than most anything new these days.
Schlocky "Alien thingy" aside, Happy Birthday to your son!

- Oren

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
Gym
February 21, 2010 08:36AM
Oren wrote:

> I do most of my shopping these days in thrift/2nd hand stores.
> May not look "shiny and new", but the older goods I find are so
> much better made than most anything new these days.
>
> - Oren
>
=====================================================

Oren,

I do virtually all my clothes shopping at thrift stores, too -- with the exception of socks, underwear and shoes.

I work in a corporate environment, and the dress code is "business casual," which means no jeans, nice pants, no sneakers, no Doc Martins, sensible shoes, dress shirt, no tie or suit. I get all these clothes from thrift stores, as well. And I have literally gotten compliments from people on my clothes, yet they have no idea.

Where they are paying at least $20 for a pair of pants (if they're on sale), I'm getting a pair of "new" pants for $1.75. I have walked out of a thrift store with a multiple pairs of pants, a number of work shirts, a few fun shirts and pants, and my total bill has come to just under $20.
February 21, 2010 10:23AM
Gym...

Just curious... which second hand stores in this area do you like? The dress code where I work is changing, and I will have to buy some new duds soon.
Gym
February 22, 2010 11:09AM
TwoBear wrote:

> Gym...
>
> Just curious... which second hand stores in this area do you
> like? The dress code where I work is changing, and I will have
> to buy some new duds soon.

=====================================================

Hey TwoBear,

I find the best deals at Value Village, on something like 4th and North. Plus, on Saturdays and Sundays, everything is half price. So when a pair of pants will normally run you something like $3.50, on the weekends, they're only $1.75. How insane is that?!

Let me know if you check it out.
February 22, 2010 12:18PM
I can understand the thrift store bit. The problem is when you are a larger more robust guy... good luck finding shirts, pants, underwear, let alone anything else that fits. I live in a fairly sizeable city and there just 3 stores that carry big and tall sizes and I happen to big and tall. 6'2" 360 pounds, 46 waist, 58 shirt (3x & 4x t-shirt sizes), size 13 shoes. My choices of clothes is not good and the brand names are Greystone and simular ilk that make clothes for larger people. I can never wear designer names because they JUST don't cater to bigger folks. When was the last time they folks of Madison Avenue has ever shown larger folks in a positive fashion sense? The issue is very much you don't get what you pay for, they act like they are doing you a favor and charging you a penalty because God just made some folks bigger.

Post Edited (02-21-10 23:22)

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
February 22, 2010 01:19PM
I can absolutely relate to not finding clothes my size. And here in L.A., it seems that no one is supposed to be taller than 5' 10", nor have a waist over 40 inches.
February 22, 2010 11:08PM
Hey Gerald...

While I'm not that big, I can relate. Try finding shoes for a size 6 1/2 AAA foot!

Boys shoes usually stop at size 6, mens start at size 8. What's up with that???
February 21, 2010 05:31AM
The same goes for food. The container's might look the same, but the contents have shrunk.

Kathy
February 21, 2010 07:04AM
luvsbeards wrote:

> The same goes for food. The container's might look the same,
> but the contents have shrunk.
>
> Kathy

I agree! It's just a way for them to disguise a price increase. I quit buying chips in the mylar bags full of air. They aren't even a third full! You're buying air.

I used to be a chocoholic but they shrunk all size bars and said it would be healthier for us. How does that work? As for thrift stores, I buy US made T-shirts there if I see them as they are better quality than the Chinese rubbish. also I have a mate in Farmville who sends me Harley T's she finds at her local Op Shopsmiling smiley The trouble we have here is fools dump crap at the front of the Op Shop and they spend millions a year to get rid of it. Also now we have people stealing from the donation bin and selling at the market. DaveinOz.

February 21, 2010 01:54PM
there are T-shirts (or any other clothes for that matter) that are still made in the US? I thought all of those jobs got outsourced to china.

Funny, but serious.
I just took another look, these are all Harley Davidson T's all made in USA! I know what yu mean because we make bugger all down here these days. Hanes is my favourite.smiling smiley I am waiting for my Beard championship one that has arm wrestling beards on the front. It was $US $17 but by the time I get it it is A$30 cannot wait as I have no beard T's yet. Dave inOz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page