Re: Air Travel Security

Gallery Random Image

Air Travel Security
January 15, 2010 02:20AM
This past monday, a local radio show here in Los Angeles had a former El Al head of security - a gentleman named Isaac Yeffet - as their guest, who explained how they've dealt with airline security under high threat for decades.

They don't do the idiocy with the little bottles in the ziploc, they don't do the stupidity with making people take their shoes off, they don't rely excessively on technology. They are PROactive instead of being REactive.

I strongly recommend that anyone with any interest in the subject have a listen; the show is available as a free MP3 download so it's easily available.

Just another point of information that supports my opinion that what we have is security theatre, not actual security. As far as I'm concerned, the TSA needs to be razed to rubble, the government needs to hire as consultants men like Mr. Yeffet and Bruce Schneier and start from a blank piece of paper - and to HELL with worrying about who's ox gets gored in formulating a real security system for air travel. One that's far less obtrusive and annoying for the honest passengers - and simultaneously far more likely to actually catch the terrorists.

Support your local cigar smokin', whiskey drinkin', big bearded biker trash!
January 15, 2010 04:41AM
Well said furr - your post inspires!

Thank you very much.

January 15, 2010 10:59AM
I flew to Lima, Peru in Jan 2008. It was one of the worst experiences of my life principally due to the broken spine I suffered on the flight down there. the flight home was packed in like sardines, long and uncomfortable with 2 changes in the US. I didn't enjoy the hassle at the security points.
It was then I decided never to fly again unless I could avoid it. I will either drive or take the passenger train. My last 2 trips to LA and one to St Louis were all done via Amtrak. It is a comfortable and exciting way to travel unlike years ago. If you men haven't tried the train in a while, you should let yourself experience a fine long distance train like The Empire Builder of The Coast Starlight.

Carl

PROUD TO BE A SEPPO BADGER

VANCOUVER, WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
January 15, 2010 08:48PM
Bring back the boats too, I say. I hated flying even when security wasn't such a pain. I'd love to come stateside, but find flying a bit prohibitive at the moment.

January 16, 2010 07:20AM
Stu, I feel the same way. I never got to take that transAtlantic voyage I had hoped for. Maybe there are tramp steamers available to you?

Carl

January 17, 2010 12:24AM
Carl: Best wishes on getting over that dratted pneumonia; my dad (who turned 100 this past July) has various lung problems and he's had recurrent bouts of pneumonia.

Support your local cigar smokin', whiskey drinkin', big bearded biker trash!
January 17, 2010 06:57AM
Much appreciated, Furr! Your dad is 100. That would be great if he were in good health. Hopefully a good omen for you.

January 16, 2010 02:21AM
Carl, you broke your spine on an airline flight? Good grief - what happened? Are you recovering?
January 16, 2010 07:18AM
Wil, I blush to relate the story. I had hurt my back on a camping trip the year before, but it was feeling better when I decided to visit Peru. Short story: I was in the head and just coming back to my seat when the plane lurched on its descent into Lima. I tripped over a ridge on the floor, bloodied my head up, and hurt my back really badly. I spent the whole vacation in strange hotel beds taking Ibuprofen with little relief. When I had enough of that I told my son to buy me the first plane ticket home so I could be in my own bed. I didn't want to ruin their vacation any more. So the ticket home was on this NW Airlines cattle car. I couldn't even move in the seat, and the pain was excruciation. Had a change in Newark, then Minneapolis (I used a wheelchair). when I got to Portland I took an expensive taxi ride across the river to Vancouver where I fell into my bed awaiting the return of my wife. btw the plane ticket home was $1800 !! But, hey, the wheelchair made it all worth it, right?
Finally had some x-rays done. Crushed vertebra that appeared an old fracture. Couldn't tell exactly if it happened on the campout or the trip.
Yep, I am feeling better, but the spine hurts from time to time.

Thanks for asking, Wil.
Carl

January 17, 2010 04:55AM
Carl, All I can say is: What a ride!
Terra firma (patting the ground)
- Oren

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
January 16, 2010 02:45AM
My goodness, Carl. Has it been two years already?

K

Bruce and Kathy
Suffolk, VA
January 16, 2010 07:21AM
Kathy, you know what they say about time flying when you are having a marvelous life. Now if I can only shake this damn pneumonia and get my energy back.
Don't ever live to 71, my lady.

Carl

January 16, 2010 08:37AM
Hey Carl, you are a V E R Y young 71!!!!!

January 16, 2010 01:11PM
Santa wrote:

> Hey Carl, you are a V E R Y young 71!!!!!

Hey, thanks for that, Rich!

Carl
>

January 16, 2010 10:30AM
Carl wrote:

> Kathy, you know what they say about time flying when you are
> having a marvelous life. Now if I can only shake this damn
> pneumonia and get my energy back.
> Don't ever live to 71, my lady.
>
> Carl
>

God willing, I'll live beyond that. You are only an 'older brother's' age older than me anyway. winking smiley

Kathy
January 16, 2010 06:31AM
I took an overnight trip on the Amtrak Empire Builder from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August 2008.
The lodge at Glacier NP was just a walk from the train station.
A fun trip!
If only I had the extra vacation time I'd do the longer distance train trips..
- Oren

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
January 19, 2010 12:18PM
I will never fly unless absolutely necessary due to the security procedures. Apparently my grandmother recently had trouble getting through security due to the fact the her knee replacement set off the metal detector. I don't feel like getting searched...

January 21, 2010 05:26AM
Whether or not I fly is based on not just the price but amount of time saved. anytime if I spend more time with land transport than if I flew by air. I would fly. I call it the 3 hour rule. The time to get through security and flown versus taking a bus,train, or driving myself there.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
January 31, 2010 03:39PM
I just stay home smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page