Texas school board keeps ban on boy's long hair

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Yes, this story is about hair, but it could easily pertain to long beards. We're in the year 2010, and there are many of us who still think that long hair on a boy will lead to an unconstructive member of society?! Don't believe me? The following is taken from the school board's code:

"students who dress and groom themselves neatly, and in an acceptable and appropriate manner, are more likely to become constructive members of the society in which we live."

And here I thought those more likely to become constructive members of society were those raised with love and respect for their fellow human beings. Those from loving and caring parents. Those with a passion for art, music, literature, and learning.

Little did I know it actually came down to short hair for boys and long hair for girls.

:-(

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

MESQUITE, Texas —
The parents of a 4-year-old boy disciplined for having long hair have rejected a compromise from a Texas school board that agreed to adjust its grooming policy.

The impasse means pre-kindergartner Taylor Pugh will remain in in-school suspension, sitting alone with a teacher's aide in a library. He has been sequestered from classmates at Floyd Elementary School in Mesquite, a Dallas suburb, since late November.

After a closed-door meeting Monday, the Mesquite school board decided the boy could wear his hair in tight braids but keep it no longer than his ears. But his parents say the adjustment isn't enough for Taylor, who wears his hair long, covering his earlobes and shirt collar.

His mother, Elizabeth Taylor, said she'll pull back Taylor's hair in a ponytail, acknowledging the style will keep him suspended.

"If I braid his hair, his scalp will bleed and his hair will break," Elizabeth Taylor said after the meeting.

According to the district dress code, boys' hair must be kept out of the eyes and cannot extend below the bottom of earlobes or over the collar of a dress shirt. Fads in hairstyles "designed to attract attention to the individual or to disrupt the orderly conduct of the classroom or campus is not permitted," the policy states.

The district is known for standing tough on its dress code. Last year, a seventh-grader was sent home for wearing black skinny pants. His parents chose to home-school him.

On its Web site, the district says its code is in place because "students who dress and groom themselves neatly, and in an acceptable and appropriate manner, are more likely to become constructive members of the society in which we live."

Taylor said her fight is not over. She and her husband are considering taking the district to court or appealing to the State Board of Education.

"I know that there are a whole set of steps we can take," she said.
Re: Texas school board keeps ban on boy's long hair
January 14, 2010 10:27AM
What drawkcab people these are!!!!!

January 14, 2010 12:16PM
The mother of this child has a few options available.

1. sue the school board of the school through the courts and have the courts force the school to change the rule.

2. withdraw her child from the school and send him to another school system. The kid would keep his hair.

3. home school her child. Not wise unless she is willing to spend a huge amount of time schooling her kid to meet state guidelines.

4. work within the system. become active in the school. maybe get elected to the local school board. school boards do make all the rules the students must go by.

5. move to another town.

Gerald
[members.cox.net]
Quite by surprise, a while back, a similar thing happened in our town, which is considered a liberal place to live - long hair (& long beards) are common here. It wasn't school policy, but the personal policy of two different, ignorant basketball coaches, demanding that a boy cut his hair in order to be on the basketball team.

Local citizens were outraged, the boys' parents sued and the coaches backed down.

See:
http://www.lovelycitizen.com/story/1470373.html

The boy was subsequently proclaimed Citizen Of the Week by the local paper.
http://www.lovelycitizen.com/topic/cow
(Scroll down to Bobby Conway 10/28/08)

Eureka wrote:

> Quite by surprise, a while back, a similar thing happened in
> our town, which is considered a liberal place to live - long
> hair (& long beards) are common here. It wasn't school policy,
> but the personal policy of two different, ignorant basketball
> coaches, demanding that a boy cut his hair in order to be on
> the basketball team.
>
> Local citizens were outraged, the boys' parents sued and the
> coaches backed down.
>
> See:
> http://www.lovelycitizen.com/story/1470373.html
>
> The boy was subsequently proclaimed Citizen Of the Week by the
> local paper.
> http://www.lovelycitizen.com/topic/cow
> (Scroll down to Bobby Conway 10/28/08)
>

=====================================================

Good stuff, Eureka.

Thankfully, the parents really took control of the situation and didn't let up. But look at all the wasted time, energy, and I'm sure cost that went into this -- just because a boy's hair was long. All that for hair. It just boggles my mind.
January 14, 2010 05:28PM
You've got to wonder about the sphincter-clenched control FREAKS who wrote that district policy. I can't say I'm surprised this story is out of Texas, though that state has no monopoly on such nuttery.

I'm so glad that where I went to school in Oregon, the dress code basically boiled down to "Be clean and be covered. No excessively suggestive clothing, or lewd/obscene slogans." There were no limits on hair length for either boys or girls, no rules about facial hair for young men, no rules telling us what COLOR clothes we had to wear - none of that garbage. [There was a rule of no beards for HS graduation - until one year the Valedictorian was bearded and absolutely refused to shave. By the time I graduated - the issue was gone.]

It seems like this school district has forgotten that schools are there to teach children HOW to think, not WHAT to think.

Support your local cigar smokin', whiskey drinkin', big bearded biker trash!
It'll come across as nitpicking, but schools SHOULD be there for teaching people how to think, but these days the education system is geared more to making cogs for the machine. Nice clean cut boys and girls who'll sit down and take everything and do what they're told.

Do people forget the kind of hair and beards that the people who made America used to wear? Ben Franklin's "skullet" is a great example.

Funny, a lot of long haired guys I knew 35 years ago are now balding baby boomers that had long careers as doctors, lawyers, etc. I'm sure they are glad they grew it while they had it. I suspect some of the policy is based on jealousy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page