Re: M*A*S*H*

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

M*A*S*H*
January 03, 2010 03:15PM
I've been trying to develop some GOOD habits in my life as of late, this last year especially. One of them was to sit down and watch an episode or two of mash while I ate. It made such a powerful impact on me as a child. I even remember where I was the night of the final episode. I had recently moved away from the city and was trying to cope with small town life (and kids) and failing miserably. Tail-end of grade 2, to be exact. I called my friend in the city that evening before the show started, we were both so excited! This weekend I finished all eleven seasons, including 'goodbye, farewell, and amen'.
It is surprising how much the style of the show changed from sit-com to drama in the final seasons. I feel a real sense of accomplishment, but it is bittersweet, as I now have to find something to replace it for a while. I'm a little weary of it too, believe it or not!
I thought since many of us watched the show, we could simply use this thread as a place to post any comments about the show, or particular episodes. A direction we could go is: How did it change your perceptions about things? Did it make you interested in anything in particular?
For me, I developed a great love of puns and plays-on-words. I became a huge Marx Brothers fan because of it. I also find that I use humor to deal with stress, and never worry about blurring the line between sanity and tilting at windmills. As Dr. freedman said about Hawkeye in an episode (his letter to Freud) anger turned inwards is depression, anger turned sideways...is Hawkeye. I've tried to "turn things sideways" most of my life! How about you guys?
January 11, 2010 03:17PM
Never missed an episode and it has never dated.smiling smiley

January 11, 2010 05:16PM
There was definitely more drama in the mix in later episodes, but it never lost the funny, IMO. I think that was partly due to many of the characters who left being replaced with deeper characters. Colonel Potter was more three-dimensional that Colonel Blake; BJ was more realistic that Trapper John - and the biggest change being Charles E. Winchester replacing the very 2-D Frank Burns. It wasn't common, but Charles could admit he was wrong - such as when he was angry at the man who ran an orphanage for selling the chocolate it was his family's tradition to give at Christmas - only to be chastened at being reminded of how much the children lacked - and said himself it was indeed wrong to give chocolates to a child who's had no dinner. And then there was the episode with the concert pianist ... who suffered nerve damage to one of his hands. Charles' knowledge of music gave him what it took to get through to him, meanwhile confessing his own frustration at his own lack of any musical talent ... "I can play the notes, but I cannot make music."

And all that while remaining an excellent comic foil for Hawkeye and BJ. winking smiley

Needless to say - it's one of my favorite series and I have all the DVDs. every so often I run through one of my favorite shows - including M*A*S*H.

Support your local cigar smokin', whiskey drinkin', big bearded biker trash!
January 11, 2010 07:41PM
Well, my brother, a doctor, looks remarkably like Elliott Gould, who played Trapper John in the movie version (below, on the right). Even my mother thinks so.

September 27, 2010 07:10AM
I LOVE MASH!! I've only got like the first 8 seasons I think though. One of my favorite episodes is when Winchester is anonymously donating gifts to the orphans for Christmas but insists it has to be anonymous. Love it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page