Moisturizing techniques

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Moisturizing techniques

New and looking for advice on beard care
October 17, 2018 09:31PM
Hello, I've been wandering the internet looking for a community to chat with and get advice from regarding beard care and ideas. I started growing a goatee with no mustache years ago in my teens but every time I would hit the desired length of about 4 inches, I'd have to cut it or something because of some special event, or interview or whatever.

There were a few things that influenced me to grow just the chin hair. First, I have a round chin. It doesn't look really good naked. But at the time I didn't know the best way to appropriately cover it without growing out a full-on beard, which I didn't want. And I was wary about getting a goatee with a mustache. Then I came across this look I thought I'd copy from a fantastic male vocalist who used to perform with Kamelot.

[lastfm-img2.akamaized.net]

And it looked good on me. I avoided a full beard, avoided the mustache and was happy with it. Then I decided to let it grow more. It is bigger but now it starts to look like an untamed brillo pad. The ends keep spiraling and curling all over the place. And I'm looking for some ideas to keep it neat.

I have very curly hair. I tend to get a serious case of folliculitis barbae if I use a blade to shave. I cream up every morning and spend most of my attention on my neck to keep it from flaring up, causing me endless grief. So I've somewhat neglected ways to actually care for the beard I did grow because I'm so paranoid about my awful neck hair making me suffer with this beard condition I live with.

So regarding a crazed beard. What do you guys like to do to help keep it neat all day every day? It must be an exhaustive chore no? I'm considering using conditioner and shampoo on my beard when I shower. And I just bought this Honest Amish Beard Balm.

I'm considering braiding the beard now. This is why I let it grow so big. But I don't want to braid it until I learn to tame it. I'm not letting it grow longer than 5 inches. I'm already at the length i want at least.
Re: New and looking for advice on beard care
December 31, 2018 07:17AM
Welcome to the BCBB, Adam! Thanks for sharing your story and your issues. In my teen years, when I was still shaving, I got terrible ingrown hairs on my neck, and razor burn. That was one of the primary reasons I grew my beard beginning Christmas day, 1976, and have never shaved since.

You wondered whether it's an exhaustive chore to keep a beard neat all day every day. For me, that's not true at all. Once every few months I trim a little bit off the bottom or do a search for breaks and split ends to remove, and other than that, I comb it quickly once or twice a day with a wide-tooth comb (we're talking about five swipes of the comb, not fifty). For the past year or two I've been applying a little argan oil every few days after I wash it, so as to make it shine a bit and help prevent split ends. And that's it.

My beard is not very dense and the hairs tend to be relatively straight, quite unlike what you describe yours being like. So you'll have to figure out what works best for you, both in terms of the physical beard you have, and what you'd like to do to maintain it in a look you like. Everyone is different!

Good luck to you, and share some photos if you get a chance.

Tom W. in Tucson

Moisturizing techniques
January 12, 2019 03:33AM
It took me 30 years to come to the realization that long beard hair is not supposed to be as coarse as a Brillo pad. Maybe most guys are told this by their dad but my dad was almost out of the picture when I was 19 and my facial hair was coming in thick. It should be soft and then it's not so unruly. I never heard of beard balms, oils, shampoos and conditioners till recently. I use Scotch Porter beard conditioner everyday now and have for 6 months. It definitely gets your facial hair soft. Put it on your face (not much) for 3-5 minutes and then rinse with cool water. Scotch Porter recommends to then use a beard oil to moisturize and then a beard balm with bees wax to lock in the moisture all day. The beard oil I make and the beard balm I don't buy from Scotch Porter but use another brand. This is what I buy:

Scotch Porter Beard Conditioner

Jojoba Oil

Castor Oil

Peppermint Oil

Peppermint Beard Balm with Bees Wax

U don't need much of the peppermint oil and should mix it into another oil. I use Jojoba oil during the day and Castor oil at night and have 2 small amber glass bottles with droppers that I keep the mix in and use a funnel. Mix 15 ml of one of those oils with 9 drops of the peppermint oil for a 3% peppermint oil strength. If u want a stronger 5% mix do 15 drops of peppermint oil to 15 ml of one of the other oils (carrier oil).

More than most guys want to go through but I use so much it's cheaper to buy the oil this way and mix it but there's plenty of prepared beard oils out there to buy.

Then take some beard balm with beard wax (melt a little in between your palms) and work it into your goatee. Brush it through with a soft boars hair bristle brush.

There are lots of videos on YouTube that show u different ways to keep a beard groomed. The thing to remember is that if your beard is not soft than it needs moisturizing because otherwise u won't be able to get your optimal length; your hair will break and need trimming. Trimming also produces coarse hair.

Hope these tips help!

Marty

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 04:07AM by LinuxHippy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page