New and looking for advice on beard care

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

October 17, 2018 09:31PM
Hello, I've been wandering the internet looking for a community to chat with and get advice from regarding beard care and ideas. I started growing a goatee with no mustache years ago in my teens but every time I would hit the desired length of about 4 inches, I'd have to cut it or something because of some special event, or interview or whatever.

There were a few things that influenced me to grow just the chin hair. First, I have a round chin. It doesn't look really good naked. But at the time I didn't know the best way to appropriately cover it without growing out a full-on beard, which I didn't want. And I was wary about getting a goatee with a mustache. Then I came across this look I thought I'd copy from a fantastic male vocalist who used to perform with Kamelot.

[lastfm-img2.akamaized.net]

And it looked good on me. I avoided a full beard, avoided the mustache and was happy with it. Then I decided to let it grow more. It is bigger but now it starts to look like an untamed brillo pad. The ends keep spiraling and curling all over the place. And I'm looking for some ideas to keep it neat.

I have very curly hair. I tend to get a serious case of folliculitis barbae if I use a blade to shave. I cream up every morning and spend most of my attention on my neck to keep it from flaring up, causing me endless grief. So I've somewhat neglected ways to actually care for the beard I did grow because I'm so paranoid about my awful neck hair making me suffer with this beard condition I live with.

So regarding a crazed beard. What do you guys like to do to help keep it neat all day every day? It must be an exhaustive chore no? I'm considering using conditioner and shampoo on my beard when I shower. And I just bought this Honest Amish Beard Balm.

I'm considering braiding the beard now. This is why I let it grow so big. But I don't want to braid it until I learn to tame it. I'm not letting it grow longer than 5 inches. I'm already at the length i want at least.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page