Re: Mustache oil

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Mustache oil
September 09, 2018 06:56AM
I've started making a very basic mustache oil to wear to bed at night to "train" my mustache hairs to grow away from my mouth. During the day a mustache wax is good at holding the unruly hairs and I imagine that eventually they will naturally start laying away from my mouth since my dad growing up never seemed to have trouble with his mustache hairs going in his mouth and never used a wax for that.

So, the oil I chose is organic cold pressed castor oil with a little bit of peppermint oil in it. The castor oil is thicker than most beard oils and will help hold the hairs in place but has a bit of an odor that the peppermint oil helps with and is also supposed to help grow hair at 3%. You should get 3% strength of peppermint oil by adding 9 drops to 15 ml of castor oil. I've actually increased it to 5% by adding 15 drops to 15 ml of castor oil. Peppermint oil I read can cause chemical burns and it's not recommended to go over 5%. Combine in an amber glass bottle with a glass dropper. All these can be found on Amazon.

After rubbing some of the mixture in you hands, rub it onto the mustache area and then spread away from mouth with a comb angled 45 degrees on your upper lip.

Hope this helps,

Marty
Gym
September 10, 2018 07:49AM
Interesting concoction you've made for yourself. I hope that does the trick for you.

You know, reading all of your posts, it made me realize again that there are many, many men out there who have chosen to grow a beard or are in the process of growing a beard because they simply want a beard. And they are willing to do all the fun little funky things like putting oils in it, putting conditioners in it, and so on, because they are excited about getting to do all of that and aren't concerned about all the time and effort involved in doing so.

Whereas I came about growing a beard because I hated shaving and couldn't stand the thought of doing it anymore, so once I came to that conclusion, I then set about researching a beard style that I would enjoy. I have now come to really, really like beards, and I couldn't imagine life without mine. But my whole entry into the world of beards was not because I wanted a beard per se; I just knew I couldn't shave my face for the rest of my life, and growing a beard was the only way around that dilemma.

So your posts are a good reminder to me that lots and lots of people aren't like me when it comes to growing a beard. Like I said, there are tons of people -- and I'm assuming you're one of them, though correct me if I'm wrong -- who sort of woke up one day and said, "I want to have a beard." It's a good reminder to me because even as much as I love my beard, I'm still of the mindset that one of its main purposes is that it requires so very little upkeep and grooming from me, yet for so many others, that's not the case. For so many others, they love getting to do all this to their beard.

May you continue to enjoy your beard-growing journey! :-)
September 10, 2018 08:27AM
A bit wrong about me. I've had lots of facial hair for decades for some of the same reasons as u and also because I have sensitive Irish skin that gets Razer burn easily. So I minimized shaving all my life but trimmed my beard so it never got more than a couple inches.

However, now I'm seeing big beards look cool and there's lots of products now that u can buy to help. So my trimming days are over. For the first time in my life at 45 I was just twisting my mustache while watching TV because j haven't trimmed it in 2 months-I thought that was wild!! My goal for the beard is one foot.

Marty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page