moustache training

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

moustache training

moustache training
August 31, 2018 08:53AM
I've had a full beard off and on for almost 30 years now but always trimmed the moustache to keep it out of my mouth. Now I'm finding that was a mistake. I'm taking another shot at growing a full beard but have only shaved the neck area for 1 1/2 months. I have been tempted many times to trim around the lip but I wanted to see what would happen and am relying on the many beard and moustache products that are available now. Here's what I use to help train my facial hair:

[*] Conditioner-I soften it with Scotch Porter conditioner (quarter to dime size dab spread around) for 2-5 minutes each morning: Scotch Porter Beard Conditioner
    [*] Beard oil-I use a peppermint beard oil without DHT inhibitors several times a day: Beckwith's Beard Oil
    [*] Beard balm- I use a peppermint beard balm without DHT inhibitors several times a day that has more hold than the oil while hydrating: Beckwith's Beard Balm
    [*] Moustache Wax- In the morning after oiling my moustache I put a small amount of moustache wax on the moustache hair after smoothing it away from my mouth: Wild Willies Moustache Wax
A nice soft brush also helps to evenly distribute the oil and balm while training your facial hair and softening it up.

I suppose a lot of guys already knew this but I know I didn't and guys with beards that I work with always talk about trimming the moustache.

Hope this helps!

Marty

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2018 08:56AM by LinuxHippy.
Gym
Re: moustache training
August 31, 2018 11:03AM
That's one heck of a lot of extra upkeep for your beard. Absolutely great if you enjoy doing all of that. More power to you. As for me, one of the main reasons I decided to grow out my beard was that I was sick to death of shaving. To me, the whole point of growing a big beard was that I would no longer have to shave every single day. Way less work. So for me -- and this is just me I'm talking about here; it does not apply to anyone else -- so for me to then turn around and have to do all this upkeep and to have to apply extra additives such as conditioners and oils and such, well, that, then, would defeat the purpose.

Here's what I do each day. While in the shower, I start by washing my face and beard with whatever bar soap I happen to be using at the time (you know, stuff like Coast, Dove, Irish Spring, etc.). I rinse that all out. Then, I shampoo my head hair and beard with a bar shampoo and rinse that all out, as well. I got into bar shampoos because there are only about five ingredients in them. And because they're so natural, they don't strip the oils out of your hair. (If you ever switch to using a bar shampoo, you will most likely have to give your hair a couple of months to readjust to its natural state.) Thus, I use no conditioners in my beard or hair. Then, once out of the shower, I gently towel dry my head hair and beard. I run a big-toothed comb through it all and let everything air dry. And that's it. Easy peezy.

I also have a long, untrimmed mustache. I have found a really neat little trick that I use in order to tame it and give the ends a curl. I simply use a lip balm. I've stocked up on quite a few for variety's sake, though I only use one at a time. I not only apply to my lips, but I apply a little to my mustache, as well. in my early days, I tried a few waxes, but those always left gunk in my 'stache and had to be washed out at some point, which wasn't as easy as it sounds. The beautiful thing about the lip balm is that when first applied, you can shape your mustache (give it a little curl), just like you have wax in it, but in virtually no time at all, the lip balm sort of disappears, yet it leaves your mustache nicely shaped still. No gunk, no residue, nothing to remove or wash out later.

So to summarize my beard-grooming "techniques," I wash my beard while in the shower along with my head hair, gently pat it all dry once out of the shower, and run a big-toothed comb through it. Later at some point, I'll brush the beard with a regular brush. And for the mustache, I use any old type of basic over-the-counter lip balm (Whole Foods has a nice variety -- they all smell nice, too. Oh, and they're all pretty cheap).

Lastly, about every 12 weeks or so, I trim the little scragglies from my beard and even out the mustache tips. You know, just to spruce things up a bit and make things tidy. I've probably been doing all of this for over 10 years now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2018 11:05AM by Gym.
August 31, 2018 05:41PM
Does your beard get soft with length? These conditioners do that while the hair is short but I've wondered if my beard hair would get soft anyway as it got down to my chest-that's my goal.

Oh and the oil also helps moisturize the skin so it's not itchy and flaking skin all the time.

Marty

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2018 05:44PM by LinuxHippy.
Gym
September 01, 2018 02:50AM
LinuxHippy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does your beard get soft with length? These
> conditioners do that while the hair is short but
> I've wondered if my beard hair would get soft
> anyway as it got down to my chest-that's my goal.
>
>
> Oh and the oil also helps moisturize the skin so
> it's not itchy and flaking skin all the time.
>
> Marty

===================================================

Absolutely. Feels as soft as cotton. On those extremely rare occasions when a woman will ask if she can touch it, she is always amazed at how it feels. "Oh, it's so soft."

As far as the itchy and flaky skin is concerned, I don't experience any of that. I just make sure I rinse out the soap thoroughly, and that seems to do the trick. That's just me, however; it could be the exact opposite for someone else.
September 01, 2018 04:24AM
Nice! From reading some of the other posts here it seemed like long beards are soft. Mine is soft now at only an inch and some from daily conditioning-that amazed me since my beard is pretty coarse and feels like sandpaper usually. It's usually so dry that things stick to it if I have beard stubble to 1/2" of growth.

Marty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 04:25AM by LinuxHippy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page