Joseph Roulin in the film "Loving Vincent"

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

December 31, 2017 05:46PM
Yesterday I saw the new animated film called "Loving Vincent," the world’s first fully oil painted feature film, painted in the style of Vincent Van Gogh and investigating the mystery of his death. One of the characters is Joseph Roulin, the majestically bearded postman of Van Gogh, who was painted by him numerous times. It was delightful to watch the animation of paints used to depict his huge double-lobed beard and to relish the sweet personality behind that great beard. There were lots of other bearded characters as well, including Van Gogh himself. The movie was fantastic, very well made and extremely moving to me, and I plan to go see it again on the big screen before it leaves town.

People have told me many times in the past that they think I look like Joseph Roulin, and I take that as a great compliment.

Here are thumbnails of two stills from the movie showing Joseph Roulin, and for comparison, two montages of several of the paintings that Van Gogh made of M. Roulin. Click on the thumbnails to see larger images in Gallery 56.

And a link to the YouTube trailer for the movie, which includes some clips of scenes with M. Roulin.

Enjoy!

from the Wikipedia page on the Roulin family

from the Cleveland Museum of Art

Tom W. in Tucson

Re: Joseph Roulin in the film "Loving Vincent"
January 01, 2018 12:22AM
Thanks for posting the excellent review. I've been wanting to see that movie, and now I have even more reason to look forward to it.
Gym
January 04, 2018 09:45AM
The one picture of the multiple shots, second from the bottom, I have the painting of the one way to the right hanging in a little frame in my bathroom.
January 05, 2018 08:33AM
Something to aspire to, and be inspired by.

Tom W. in Tucson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page