1st time on the bulletin board

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

jjn
November 25, 2017 09:48AM
I've had a beard for most of my adult life (I just turned 69), but it's always been fairly short and trimmed close. I recently decided that I'd prefer a beard a bit longer (Just medium length, I guess.) and I just started using products- beard wash. oil and balm. I also bought a beard comb and brush. So, I guess you could say I'm pretty serious about trying to sport a nice beard. I've reached a point where it should be trimmed by a professional. I tried trimming it a few weeks ago, and it was a disaster. I'm not even sure if this question is appropriate for this site. I live in a suburb of Boston MA, about 10 miles west of Boston. How do I find a professional whose job is primarily trimming beards? My barber is a woman who does a nice job on my hair, but I don't feel comfortable asking her to trim my beard, especially now that I've spent a couple of months "growing it out".
Re: 1st time on the bulletin board
December 17, 2017 05:02PM
Hi John, and welcome to the Beard Community!

Sorry I'm a bit late with a response, but I wanted to suggest that you do a Web search for barber shops, hair stylists, and salons in your area to look for barbers and stylists who might have photos or videos on their Web sites about working with bearded clients, and then call them up and inquire about their experience.

Suggested Google searches could be something like

[www.google.com]

or

[www.google.com]

You could look for reviews on Yelp or other Websites that let people provide opinions about such services.

You could also contact a beard club in your area (there must be one or more in the Boston area!) and see if they might be able to provide any recommendations.

That said, when you do visit a barber/stylist and put yourself under the knife, as it were, you should talk with them a lot about what you'd like to achieve with the trim, how you'd like it to look, what you'd like left alone, slightly trimmed, or considerably trimmed. For example--neckline, cheeks, sides, stache. If you have any photos that might realistically depict what you're aiming for, it could help to share those with the stylist.

If you wish, you could also request that they not cut off more than X inches anywhere without specifically asking you, and you could watch what they're doing in the mirror to prevent more being taken off than you want.

All this reminds me of the old joke/riddle--An isolated town has two barbers. One has a very bad haircut and the other has a very good one. Which barber should you go to? A.: The one with the bad haircut, because that barber knows how to give good haircuts.

Let us know how things turn out! Perhaps you could post before and after photos.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom W. in Tucson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 05:03PM by TomW.
Re: 1st time on the bulletin board
January 16, 2018 12:22AM
Welcome to the community!

Let's Grow ... (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) Let's Grow!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page