Re: Question about beards and aging...

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Question about beards and aging...
April 08, 2017 01:42PM
I have a question for our older beard growers... Has your beard thinned as you've gotten older?

My beard seems to be getting thinner and thinner as the years go by, and I'm becoming more and more disappointed in it. It seems like I lose way too many hairs from it each day, and it is starting to become quite noticeable - at least to me. I trimmed the thinnest parts back over the winter, but now it just seems to be getting thinner once again without really putting back the length I lost to the trim.

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this... And if there is anything that can be done about it.
Gym
April 11, 2017 01:13AM
I can't really answer that on my end, only because I never had a
full beard when I was in my 20s and 30s. The ends of my beard
have always been wispy.

I bought a new comb recently from Walgreen's, and I'm loving
it. I don't know how to describe it, but it has these sort of long
and wavy teeth, like thick spaghetti. It's a detangling comb, and
I use it for my head hair and beard right after I shampoo and
shower. I kid you not; I'm not exaggerating -- but I have
noticed a lot less hairs in the sink when I'm done, for both
my head hair and beard hairs. I've also learned to take my
time
when combing, and being gentle.

I also bought a detangling brush, which has very short
teeth, With that, too, I've noticed a lot less hairs being pulled
out.

Neither of these broke the bank; they were fairly inexpensive,
and you figure you'll have them for years and years, so they
were a good investment in my mind. I recommend trying
something like that if you're concerned with losing hairs on a
daily basis. Those combined, however, with being gentle and
taking your time. Tell yourself you're not in any rush. :-)
April 20, 2017 04:03AM
Thanks for the tips, Gym.

I'm pretty much following those instructions already. I use either a very wide tooth comb or something called "The Wet Brush" that I picked up at Target for my after shower detangling sessions, and I have no choice about going slowly. If I went fast I'd pull the whole beard off my face! smiling smiley

I did recently add one step to my routine that seems to have made a bit of a difference... Right before I get out of the shower I rinse my beard with a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar. Our water is pretty hard, and just kicking the pH down seems to have helped make the comb/brush glide through more smoothly. I also think my beard feels softer after it is dry since I've been doing this.

On the whole, though, it turns out I may have a bit of a health issue that could be part of the problem. I'll let you know when I know more... Watch your mailbox.
July 02, 2017 05:24AM
While my beard filled in a bit from late teens into mid-twenties, I haven't noticed any appreciable change since then, as I approach the big six zero. At numerous times over the years, I've tried to grow it long but I don't have the genetics and it gets wispy beyond about 10 to 12 inches, extremely wispy by 15 inches, and while some people do that look, I don't think it looks good on me. And that length at which the wispiness kicks in hasn't changed over the years, through changes in diet, sleep patterns, weight, and other things that one would think might slightly influence the follicle growth cycle & speed of growth. Damned genetics! If I had the genetics for a belt-buckle-grazer, I'd be there in a flash. (Well, it might take two or three years.)

That said, I did start using plain argan oil as a beard oil about a year or year and a half ago, and I think it has just about completely removed the occasional cases of split ends and breakage that I'd have that would cut into my beard length, so it seems my beard is now ever so slightly fuller at the 10 to 12 inch length that it had been in past years. And I am glad for that.

--Tom

Tom W. in Tucson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page