Bear Itch!

Gallery Random Image

Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Bear Itch!

Bear Itch!
June 18, 2016 07:11AM
Hi, I'm in the process of becoming a first time beard grower. I'm bald and shave my head, so I thought it might be a good look for me. I was doing well this week after not shaving for 5 days, but then on day 6 a constant itch under my chin began and I could not stand it. So I shaved. All my patience and progress was thrown down the drain. My question is if anyone knows how long the itch actually lasts and what can be done to relieve it. I know it has something to do with my face adapting to the hair. I'd like to give it another try this week, but the itch is just so hard to deal with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Bear Itch!
June 18, 2016 09:15AM
Hey Baldbeard --

Yes the itch is quite normal, especially if it's the first time one has let the beard grow out. It takes a couple of weeks, in my experience, for the itchiness to subside. My theory is that the facial hair pores are being re-activated and start to produce oils and other natural substances which the skin is not used to. For the first week or so you can use some kind of conditioner or even better, olive, aloe or coconut oil.

Here's to your beard success!

Cheers,
Russ
June 19, 2016 01:14AM
Thanks Russ for the advice. I think I'm going to try using some T/Gel therapeutic shampoo this week, and see how that works. I'm hoping it will relieve some of the discomfort. I really want to grow a beard, so I'm hoping this will help. Thanks!
June 19, 2016 04:58AM
Here's a photo of my beard at day 6 before I shaved it off.
June 19, 2016 11:22AM
Hi Jason,
That's an excellent starter beard. I went through itchiness for two or three weeks the one and only time I grew my beard out many years ago. I just toughed it out, telling myself how much better I'd look with a beard than without. But your beard is so much thicker than mine, so your itchiness is probably compounded by the greater follicle density. I have heard in the years since I grew my beard out, in addition to what Russ had to say, that sometimes itchiness can be due to the sharp recently-sliced ends of the hairs poking at your skin if they don't grow straight out. So, just as your skin will acclimate, your hairs will have their ends smooth off with time and wear--and stroking and rubbing the beard can help speed that along.
Give another try, and keep us posted. Oh, and welcome to BCBB!

--Tom

Tom W. in Tucson

June 19, 2016 06:01PM
Thanks Tom! I'm giving it another try. I have not shaved since Thursday, so in 3 days I'll be back to where I was in the photo and hopefully moving forward from there with more growth.
June 19, 2016 10:51PM
I agree with what Tom said - the fresh cut hairs are sharp and tend to poke and irritate the skin. The will "wear" as they age and become less sharp, and the ends will also move away from the skin as they grow out. In the mean time I suggest a little conditioner when you shower or perhaps a few drops of oil.

Your starter beard looks great, btw. What are your plans for it?
June 20, 2016 12:40AM
Thanks for the advice TwoBear! Basically my goal is to start at approximately 1.5 mm to 3 mm and see how I like it. Maybe as time goes by I'll go a bit longer, but I'm really looking for a short well trimmed beard.
June 19, 2016 07:48AM
Welcome! Your beard has good coverage, keep on going through the itch.
June 19, 2016 06:02PM
Thanks for the support Mike! I'm going to power through the itch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Top of Page